Friday, January 23, 2009

Purpose In Life

Shaun and I have a Wednesday night group we go to, and the age old question of "What is my purpose" came up. I had always thought it was to love God, but when discussed was met with one really good, or better answer... Our purpose in life is to glorify God.

glo·ri·fy

1 a: to make glorious by bestowing honor, praise, or admiration

b: to elevate to celestial glory

2: to light up brilliantly

3 a: to represent as
glorious : extol

b: to cause to be or seem to be better than the actual condition

4: to give glory to (as in worship)

Makes good enough sense. Then a friend of mine told us to remember how even when Pharaoh's heart was hardened and he would not allow the Israelites out of Egypt, the Bible said God would be glorified? And in the end, God was... But then you go to the next logical question...

God hardened Pharaoh's heart so he (God) would be glorified... Pharaoh didn't have a choice but to Glorify God. Ultimately God was going to be glorified no matter what... So do we then have free will if Pharaoh didn't have a choice? Is God vain, if he always need to be glorified? I don't even come close to struggling with these things, because they are not the make it or break it questions in life... It was just good to think in a different realm for a few hours.

Just made me shift my thinking a little because I had always believed that my purpose was to love God... I guess in loving him in my actions I am glorifying him...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...

Blog Archive